A San Antonio shooting left two wounded after a gunman opened fire at a Texas move theater, sending hundreds of people running in an attack reminiscent of the Aurora, Colo. movie theater shooting earlier this year.
The gunman who perpetrated the San Antonio shooting, whose name has not been released, was taken into custody after being wounded by an armed citizen.
Witnesses said the San Antonio shooter fired numerous shots inside and outside of the Santikos Mayan Palace 14 theater at approximately 9:45 p.m. last night. The San Antonio movie theater complex was evacuated and sealed off for several hours.
It’s not clear what led to the shooting, but police said the San Antonio shooting began when the gunman fired shots inside a nearby restaurant and carried on into the theater. The gunman shot a male in the parking lot and entered the theater where he opened fire, but did not hit anyone. The San Antonio shooter also opened fire on a police car.
The suspect was taken to the hospital and was not immediately charged. The extent of the injuries of the two who were injured was not known, but police said they did not sustain life-threatening injuries.
The shooting comes just days after Adam Lanza killed 27 at Sandy Hook Elementary school in Newtown Conn., and is the second movie theater shooting this year. The numerous shootings has many people on edge.
WE KNOW HOW TO STOP SCHOOL SHOOTINGS
Only one public policy has ever been shown to reduce the death rate from such crimes: concealed-carry laws.
Their study controlled for age, sex, race, unemployment, retirement, poverty rates, state population, murder arrest rates, violent crime rates, and on and on.
The effect of concealed-carry laws in deterring mass public shootings was even greater than the impact of such laws on the murder rate generally.
Someone planning to commit a single murder in a concealed-carry state only has to weigh the odds of one person being armed. But a criminal planning to commit murder in a public place has to worry that anyone in the entire area might have a gun.
You will notice that most multiple-victim shootings occur in “gun-free zones” — even within states that have concealed-carry laws: public schools, churches, Sikh temples, post offices, the movie theater where James Holmes committed mass murder, and the Portland, Ore., mall where a nut starting gunning down shoppers a few weeks ago.
In a nonsense “study” going around the Internet right now, Mother Jones magazine claims to have produced its own study of all public shootings in the last 30 years and concludes: “In not a single case was the killing stopped by a civilian using a gun.”
This will come as a shock to people who know something about the subject.
The magazine reaches its conclusion by simply excluding all cases where an armed civilian stopped the shooter: They looked only at public shootings where four or more people were killed, i.e., the ones where the shooter wasn’t stopped.
If we care about reducing the number of people killed in mass shootings, shouldn’t we pay particular attention to the cases where the aspiring mass murderer was prevented from getting off more than a couple rounds?
It would be like testing the effectiveness of weed killers, but refusing to consider any cases where the weeds died.
In addition to the Portland mall case, here are a few more examples excluded by the Mother Jones’ methodology:
– Mayan Palace Theater, San Antonio, Texas, this week: Jesus Manuel Garcia shoots at a movie theater, a police car and bystanders from the nearby China Garden restaurant; as he enters the movie theater, guns blazing, an armed off-duty cop shoots Garcia four times, stopping the attack. Total dead: Zero.
– Winnemucca, Nev., 2008: Ernesto Villagomez opens fire in a crowded restaurant; concealed carry permit-holder shoots him dead. Total dead: Two. (I’m excluding the shooters’ deaths in these examples.)
– Appalachian School of Law, 2002: Crazed immigrant shoots the dean and a professor, then begins shooting students; as he goes for more ammunition, two armed students point their guns at him, allowing a third to tackle him. Total dead: Three.
– Santee, Calif., 2001: Student begins shooting his classmates — as well as the “trained campus supervisor”; an off-duty cop who happened to be bringing his daughter to school that day points his gun at the shooter, holding him until more police arrive. Total dead: Two.
– Pearl High School, Mississippi, 1997: After shooting several people at his high school, student heads for the junior high school; assistant principal Joel Myrick retrieves a .45 pistol from his car and points it at the gunman’s head, ending the murder spree. Total dead: Two.
– Edinboro, Pa., 1998: A student shoots up a junior high school dance being held at a restaurant; restaurant owner pulls out his shotgun and stops the gunman. Total dead: One.
By contrast, the shootings in gun-free zones invariably result in far higher casualty figures — Sikh temple, Oak Creek, Wis. (six dead); Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Va. (32 dead); Columbine High School, Columbine, Colo. (12 dead); Amish school, Lancaster County, Pa. (five little girls killed); public school, Craighead County, Ark. (five killed, including four little girls).
All these took place in gun-free zones, resulting in lots of people getting killed — and thereby warranting inclusion in the Mother Jones study.
If what we care about is saving the lives of innocent human beings by reducing the number of mass public shootings and the deaths they cause, only one policy has ever been shown to work: concealed-carry laws. On the other hand, if what we care about is self-indulgent grandstanding, and to hell with dozens of innocent children being murdered in cold blood, try the other policies.
- The Answer Is Mandatory Gun Ownership For Ages 21 Years And Older: Feinstein’s Benghazi Massacre! (politicalvelcraft.org)
- Ann Coulter – We know how to stop school shootings (mypoliticalmusings.wordpress.com)
- Gun-free Zones Called “Magnets for Mass Shooters” (blacklistednews.com)
- Gun Groups Offering Concealed Weapons Training To Teachers (lasvegas.cbslocal.com)
- Dem gun hypocrites (seeingredaz.wordpress.com)